We’ve developed a series of free webinars for dental students, dentists and their families to watch and learn more about issues you felt were important. The dates for the first three in April and May have now passed but we’ve created an additional one to focus specifically on financial issues for personal expenditure due to Covid-19. Please use the following link to register:
Thursday, 4 June (4-5 pm) – Covid-19 and your personal finances
If you would like to suggest future topics or have any feedback please get in touch via our Contact Us page.
We recognise that not all needs are financial and therefore, since January 2020, the BDA Benevolent Fund has offered extra help to support the health and wellbeing of all dental students and dentists via a 24/7 telephone Assistance Programme in partnership with Health Assured. Health Assured’s services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year which include:
- Life support: Unlimited access to counselling for emotional problems and a pathway to structured telephone counselling or face-to-face counselling sessions at your convenience.
- Legal information: For any issues that cause anxiety or distress including debt management, accountancy, lawsuits, consumer disputes, property or neighbour legalities.
- Bereavement support: Health Assured offers qualified and experienced counsellors who can help with grief and related stress plus a team of legal advisors to help with legal issues.
- Medical information: Qualified nurses are on hand to offer advice on a range of medical or health-related issues. They can’t diagnose but can offer a sympathetic ear and practical information and advice.
- The Health e-hub app and online portal: a comprehensive library of resources to help you get through life’s challenges (please contact us to get the username and login information)
How does it work?
It is a confidential benefit designed to help you deal with personal and professional problems that could be affecting your home life or work life, health and general wellbeing. It is a complete support network that offers expert advice and compassionate guidance 24/7, covering a wide range of issues. It is a service that offers not only reactive support when you need it but also proactive and preventative support to help deliver the best possible outcomes for you.
If you are a dental student, a dentist or a member or a dependent of a dentist (i.e. spouse, partner) and you feel that you might benefit from the above, please contact us or call Health Assured free on 0800 030 5182.
British Doctors and Dentists Group – 07792 819 966 – A mutual help group for doctors and dentists who are recovering, or wish to recover, from addiction to or dependency on alcohol or other drugs.
Confidental – freephone 0333 987 5158, 24 hours a day – A helpline offering emotional support for dentists from fellow dentists
Dentists’ Health Support Trust – 0207 224 4671 – Provides dental professionals with free support and advice on mental health, alcohol and drug issues, and reports an 80% success rate in helping dentists overcome their problems and ‘get their lives back on track’.
NHS Practitioner Health Programme – freephone 0300 030 3300 (8am – 8pm Monday to Friday & 7.30am to 2.30pm on Saturdays) – A recently-launched service available to the profession regardless of whether or not they practice under an NHS contract for those experiencing mental ill-health or addiction problems.