We’ve developed a series of free, live webinars for dental students, dentists and their families to watch and learn more about issues you felt were important. The next sessions are below. Please click on the hyperlink to register your place. If you are unable to attend on the dates and times listed below if you register, you will be sent the recorded webinar to watch at your earliest convenience.
- How to: Start out right financially for students and graduates – Tues 22 September at 12pm.
- How to: Avoid identity theft and fraud – Thurs 22 October at 12 pm
- How to: Be better with money & improve your money mindset – Thurs 19 November at 6 pm
- How to: Tackle debt – Thurs 10 December at 6 pm
If you would like to suggest future topics or have any feedback please get in touch via our Contact Us page.
We recognise that not all needs are financial and therefore, since January 2020, the BDA Benevolent Fund has offered extra help to support the health and wellbeing of all dental students and dentists via a 24/7 telephone Assistance Programme in partnership with Health Assured. Health Assured’s services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year which include:
- Mental health support: Unlimited access to counselling for emotional problems and a pathway to structured telephone counselling or face-to-face counselling sessions at your convenience.
- Legal information: For any issues that cause anxiety or distress including debt management, accountancy, lawsuits, consumer disputes, property or neighbour legalities.
- Bereavement support: Health Assured offers qualified and experienced counsellors who can help with grief and related stress plus a team of legal advisors to help with legal issues.
- Medical information: Qualified nurses are on hand to offer advice on a range of medical or health-related issues. They can’t diagnose but can offer a sympathetic ear and practical information and advice.
- The Health e-hub app and online portal: a comprehensive library of resources to help you get through life’s challenges (you will need the Username = Benevolent and Password = Fund in order to log in)
How does it work?
It is a confidential benefit designed to help you deal with personal and professional problems that could be affecting your home life or work life, health and general wellbeing. It is a complete support network that offers expert advice and compassionate guidance 24/7, covering a wide range of issues. It is a service that offers not only reactive support when you need it but also proactive and preventative support to help deliver the best possible outcomes for you.
If you are a dental student, a dentist or a member or a dependent of a dentist (i.e. spouse, partner) and you feel that you might benefit from the above, please call Health Assured free on 0800 030 5182 saying that you are being ‘referred by the BDA Benevolent Fund’.
Here are some organisations we work closely with. You can find a more comprehensive list on our Wellbeing support page.
British Doctors and Dentists Group – 07792 819 966 – A mutual help group for doctors and dentists who are recovering, or wish to recover, from addiction to or dependency on alcohol or other drugs.
Confidental – freephone 0333 987 5158, 24 hours a day – A helpline offering emotional support for dentists from fellow dentists
Dentists’ Health Support Trust – 0207 224 4671 – Provides dental professionals with free support and advice on mental health, alcohol and drug issues, and reports an 80% success rate in helping dentists overcome their problems and ‘get their lives back on track’.
NHS Practitioner Health Programme – freephone 0300 030 3300 (8 am – 8 pm Monday to Friday & 7.30 am to 2.30 pm on Saturdays) – A recently-launched service available to the profession regardless of whether or not they practice under an NHS contract for those experiencing mental ill-health or addiction problems.