We recognise that not all needs are financial and therefore, since January 2020, the BDA Benevolent Fund has offered extra help to support the health and wellbeing of all dental students and dentists via a 24/7 telephone Assistance Programme in partnership with Health Assured. Health Assured’s services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year which include:
- Mental health support: Unlimited access to counselling for emotional problems and a pathway to structured telephone counselling or face-to-face counselling sessions at your convenience.
- Legal information: For any issues that cause anxiety or distress including debt management, accountancy, lawsuits, consumer disputes, property or neighbour legalities.
- Bereavement support: Health Assured offers qualified and experienced counsellors who can help with grief and related stress plus a team of legal advisors to help with legal issues.
- Medical information: Qualified nurses are on hand to offer advice on a range of medical or health-related issues. They can’t diagnose but can offer a sympathetic ear and practical information and advice.
- The Health e-hub app and online portal: a comprehensive library of resources to help you get through life’s challenges (you will need the Username = Benevolent and Password = Fund in order to log in)
How does it work?
It is a confidential benefit designed to help you deal with personal and professional problems that could be affecting your home life or work life, health and general wellbeing. It is a complete support network that offers expert advice and compassionate guidance 24/7, covering a wide range of issues. It is a service that offers not only reactive support when you need it but also proactive and preventative support to help deliver the best possible outcomes for you.
If you are a dental student, a dentist or a member or a dependent of a dentist (i.e. spouse, partner) and you feel that you might benefit from the above, please call Health Assured free on 0800 030 5182 saying that you are being ‘referred by the BDA Benevolent Fund’.
We’ve developed a series of free, live webinars for dental students, dentists and their families to watch and learn more about issues you felt were important in collaboration with Better with Money which ran throughout 2020.
If you would like to suggest future topics or have any feedback please get in touch via our Contact Us page.
Wellbeing Support for the Dental Team
Wellbeing Support for the Dental Team has been created for all dental team members, including students and non-clinical roles. It outlines how to assess your own mental health and wellbeing and provides resources for self-care, including the range of organisations available to support you. For a variety of reasons, there has traditionally been a reluctance amongst the dental profession to speak about and seek support for their personal problems, including mental health. It is time to put an end to that. There is strength, not weakness, in asking for help, and to that end, this resource offers simple and practical steps to know where you can find the support you need throughout the UK.