Request our help
Please email or call us on 020 7486 4994 to discuss whether you may be eligible for our help. All requests are considered in confidence. We will send you an application form for completion. You can also download the BDA Benevolent Fund application form by clicking on the link. You may find these Guidance Notes useful.
When we receive your completed application form with supporting documentation, [assuming this confirms you are eligible for help], we will:
- Check if we need any further information from you
- Prepare a report on your application
- Consider your application at one of our bi-monthly Trustee meetings
- You may also be visited by our General Manager or a Trustee
If you know of someone who might benefit from our assistance, please pass on our details.
- You must have little in the way of income or savings and be unable to support yourself financially due to unexpected hardship, unemployment, illness, disability or because you are over state retirement age.
- You must have at some time been registered with the General Dental Council, or a student at a UK dental school, or be a dependent of a dentist (i.e. a partner, spouse, widow or child).
- You must also be living in the UK.
The types of financial assistance we offer to eligible applicants include:
- Regular monthly grants towards day-to-day living costs
- Back-to-work assistance for those returning to work following a period of illness; including help with retraining costs and professional fees
- Grants towards specialist equipment, car or home adaptations
- Personal loans
The BDA Benevolent Fund is an independent charity and you do not need to be a member of the British Dental Association to receive support.
Have a look at some of our real life testimonials to see how the BDA Benevolent Fund has changed lives.
Who we help and how we can help
The BDA Benevolent Fund provides a range of financial support for dental students, dentists, and their dependents. Each case is dealt with on an individual basis and the assistance we provide is tailored to each person’s needs.
“Once your payments ceased [upon my return to work] I never got back to you to express my gratitude to your organisation for its support for the months it gave me a grant. There aren’t really adequate words to describe how much difference your support meant to me.
You were a great support to me and I would like to thank you for your help and professionalism throughout the whole affair. Having a kind, sympathetic and understanding ear made a big difference.”
What we are unable to help with
Our remit doesn’t extend to providing financial support for other dental registrants (unless they are a dependent of a dentist). Other charities can help and you may find the grant search on Turn2us is useful.
We cannot provide financial support towards the cost of certain items, including:
- Private health care and medical insurance
- Private education
- Legal fees
- HMRC payments
- Repaying loans from family and friends
- Business debts
- People who have substantial savings, capital or investments